Saturday, May 15, 2010

Unit 5 – Subtle Mind Exercise

This week I tried to listen to the subtle mind exercise. I was very excited about being able to try to calm my constantly chattering mind. I turned the lights down in the living room, put my animals in a different room so they would not distract me, lay down on the couch and turned on the CD. The beginning was very relaxing and I was just getting relaxed….when the CD turned to loud static. What a shock! So I was not able to participate in the whole exercise. I liked the loving kindness exercise but I feel that the subtle mind exercise would be more beneficial to me individually. I think this because I am a naturally loving person, but my mind is always going a million miles an hour. I plan everything and am always looking forward to the next task as I am completing the task I am on. I think this may have something to do with my current profession as an emergency dispatcher as we are always multitasking and running scenarios through our minds about what could happen and what we would do if such an incident were to occur.

Spiritual wellness is linked to mental and physical wellness; however most people focus only on the aspect of physical wellness. Physical wellness is affected by mental wellness. I know that when I am mentally exhausted, that I feel physical symptoms. Same with spiritual wellness; when I am spiritually deprived, I feel mentally and physically drained. It is amazing how much my demeanor improves by spending some “me time” in nature. This time gives me a spiritual boost which, in turn, helps me mentally and physically.

2 comments:

  1. You make a good point when feeling mentally exhausted and spent that you develope physical symptoms as well as a lack of spiritual health. I think that when we lack in one of these areas that it definitely shows up in other areas too. I know that when I am full of anxiety and stress that I find I get angry at myself and start feeling more levels of stress and it continues to be a circle. When I realize that a time/out is needed and to refocus everything else seems to feel better. There really is something to be said for the combination of physical/mental/spiritual well-being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mona, thank you for the response! I agree, I do the same thing. I let myself get so worked up about something that I end up getting angry at myself. I am my own worse critic! Sometimes I have to take a time out and just concentrate on what is important and give myself a break.

    ReplyDelete