Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Unit 10 – Final Week!

Hello everyone! First off, I want to say how much I have enjoyed this course and getting to know each and every one of you. This class has been so different than any class that I have taken, and I have loved it! Everything that we have learned can be applied to everyday life! With that being said, onto the questions!

In Unit 3, we assessed ourselves and where we felt we were in all three areas of integral health. I scored myself as follows: physical wellbeing – 4; spiritual wellbeing – 6; and psychological wellbeing – 7. Out of these three areas, sadly I am going to have to say that most of them are still at the same level, all except for spiritual wellbeing that is. I have, through this course and assignments, made myself focus more inward and therefore I have been listening to myself more than I have in a very long time. For this reason, I would grade myself as a 7 for spiritual wellbeing. There is still room to improve on all aspects! One is never done when it comes to self improvement.

Through this course I have immensely enjoyed the experiences. I like trying new things and this course was full of new and exciting experiences! What I am taking away the most from this course, however, is the knowledge that I must listen to myself, listen to my body, and listen to my mind. It is the way of America to always go with the hustle and bustle of everyday life, but this course has taught me the importance and the advantage to stopping and breathing. So much happiness and peace can come from those silent moments!

Being balanced by having integral health is very important in my goal of becoming a psychologist. In order to help others, I have to be able to help myself and understand myself. I have to practice what I preach. Also, learning meditation and relaxation exercises helps everyone and being able to give alternative options to future patients will make my practice that much better and well rounded. Looking at the individual as an individual and creating an intervention plan from their unique starting point will help not only my practice, but my future patients!

1 comment:

  1. It seems many of us have the same concerns about trying to continue what we've learned in this class. I think many people recognize the benefits of the integral health idea and it seems we all enjoyed the meditations. However, keeping them up will be test for many. I know I will have to work to keep doing them. I have a hard time convincing myself that the meditation time is a as important as my physical exercise time or how I eat. It's going to take a while for this to become habit. I wish you and everyone else the best. Have fun with your new found knowledge and skills.

    ReplyDelete